Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Kryptonite

Lets take a minute and talk about weaknesses. I like to stay positive and all, and try to focus on my strengths as much as I can. But I also am not afraid to admit my weaknesses and chat about them. Lately I have been realizing that one of my huge hurtles in life in particular is something that I will never be able to change. This weakness is SLEEP. Michael calls it my kryptonite. It's something that no matter how hard I try, I cannot function without it. I have been this way my whole life. I know that sleep is an issue for everyone, especially new moms, or just moms in general. But for some reason I was born with a need for ridiculous amounts of sleep every night. If I don't get these required hours I am the Hulk. Period. I have no control over my mood, patience level, thought process, it all turns into an uncontrollable mess. Now, I have 4 kids so I know a thing or two about sleep deprivation. And I have finally come to a conclusion that there is no overcoming this challenge. I will require ridiculous amounts of sleep every night until the day I die. And I will not wake up early for anything short of a crying baby, and even that is questionable some mornings. Unless my house is on fire or my kids are in some kind of life threatening altercation, I will not wake up for it. I know what you're thinking, "You can chose to be happy even with no sleep" My response to this is, "No. No I cannot." It's an impossibility for me. My husband is learning that if he wants anything from me, anything at all, he will let me sleep. He will do whatever is in his power to keep those kids out of my room and keep the baby quite until I am ready to wake up and come out. He has learned that when I get the sleep I require, I am the happiest lady alive and he will get whatever he wants from me. For reals though, when I sleep, I can do anything. ANYTHING. I can take on all of life's challenges, all of my kids shenanigans, all the messes, and bills, and meals and whatever is thrown at me. But I have to sleep. If I need 12 hours of sleep that night, so be it. Let me have it. Let me be happy. Anyways, that's my weakness in life. I can admit that I am not strong enough to try and function without sleep. I can't do it and I will never be able to do it. That's it. Everyone has their kryptonite, something that cripples and sucks the life out of you and you refuse to learn to deal with it. Mine is sleep deprivation. Whats yours?

No comments: