Monday, December 31, 2012

sleep sense program nights 1 & 2

Okay.....this is hard. About as hard as I thought it would be. Really freakin hard. I've had about 5 hours of sleep in the last two nights combined. No joke. So night one went a little something like this-

Bedtime routine started at 8 with a bath, lotion and jammies, and a story in the rocking chair
8:30 in bed
Michael stayed in his room and if he cried, he picked him up, calmed him down and put him back in bed. After 30 minutes of doing this, it was my turn. Pick up, put down, pick up, put down.
9:20 asleep
10:00 awake
I went in and calmed him down, and put him back in his crib. Cry, pick up, put down. Cry pick up, put down......
11:45 asleep
3:00 awake
He gets to nurse and then put back in his crib. Cry, pick up, put down.......over and over and over untill...
4:40 asleep
6:40 awake
Diaper change. Michael does the routine until he is asleep...
7:30 asleep
8:30 awake for the day.

FAIL.

We were so exhausted. Jett was so confused and just wanted his pacifier. It was so sad. And so hard to know that if I just give it him he would fall right to sleep. But no. Luckily Michael was right there doing it with me. This is suppose to work, right? Is what we kept telling each other.

Now on to night two...keep in mind that I am now going on about 3 hours of sleep. And tonight Michael cannot help me because he has to go to work at 3 in the morning.

Bedtime routine starts at 7 with a bath, lotion and jammies and nursing. He was very tired when we started the bedtime routine so I tried to keep him awake during his feeding. He was dosing off when we were done so I put him right in his bed still awake but really tired.
7:30 asleep
10:30 awake
He was acting really hungry so I nursed him again and tried to keep him awake. I put him in his crib, and did the routine until he was asleep
11:15 asleep
1:05 awake
cry, pick up, put down, over and over and over until he falls asleep
1:45 asleep
3:40 awake
(I want to die at this point I'm so tired) With tears in my eyes, I do the routine yet again but this time, for an hour and a half.....
5:20 asleep
6:30 awake
I bring him into bed to nurse and I accidentally fell asleep, which you're not suppose to do. But I had no control over it. we slept together for about 2 hours and woke up at 8:30 to start the day.

FAIL.

The author of the book reassures over and over that it takes a few days for the baby to get used to this new way of falling asleep. Which makes perfect sense. But it is still RIDICULOUSLY difficult. I just keep thinking, if I give in now and give him back his binky, all this work will have been for NOTHING and I'm not about to let that happen. This is to hard for it to all be for nothing. So we will try again tonight and Michael has this week off of school so some nights he can help me. This better work.........

No comments: