Friday, December 14, 2012

where have you been all my life!?!?

 I have decided to document all the things I have found this time around to be remarkably helpful that I either didn't know existed, couldn't afford, or haven't been around until now. All of these items are LIFE CHANGING!
First off, above is the video baby monitor. Unbelievably helpful. Not only can you hear what's going on, but you can check and see if they are okay, if the blanket is covering their face, if the pacifier fell out, whatever, all with out having to open the door and make more noise. Love love love this thing.

Next is the hospital pump
Did you know you could rent these? I guess I always knew I could but never did because I thought my Medela pump was sufficient. Boy was a wrong!! It was recommended to me by the hospital that I rented a pump from A Mothers Touch Lactation Clinic in Orem when Jett was born because he was in the NICU And I needed a really good pump because I couldn't nurse for so long. There is something magical about these pumps, they suck differently than regular pumps, somehow getting way more milk out. I had one of these pumps for a month and sadly had to return it because they are surprisingly expensive to rent. But alas, we are once again reunited because of our thrush situation. I'm excited for the excuse to have to rent it again. I love this machine. I recommend it to all new moms to use after they nurse to get their milk supply waaaaay up. It's a miracle worker.


And next we have the head support pillow
I saw this idea on Pinterest and had to buy one. It makes me so sad when the little babies heads fall down in the car when they're sleeping. This goes behind their head and the pillows go around their neck, holding the head up when they fall asleep. Way more comfortable for them.


And next we have the sound maker and projection machine
(Drawings courtesy of my awesome two year old) This little machine has about 15 different sounds it can make, including white noise, and lullabies. And the coolest part is the projection on top, it moves so you can put it on the wall or ceiling and has three different scenes to choose from, ocean, starry night, or jungle. It spins the disc and looks like a little movie playing on the ceiling. It's so great, they sit and watch it in amazement. It's currently being used by my toddler but will make it's way to the babies room shortly.....or I may have to buy another one....



Next we have the bottle warmer
I guess I've never needed one of these because I've never really refrigerated any milk, I never had a surplus of breast milk and when I supplemented I just used formula, which used warm water, thus, no need for a bottle warmer. But this time around I have ridiculous amounts of frozen milk and this baby had never had formula and I get extra milk from pumping all the time. I was trying to heat up cold bottles in hot water but that was taking at least 20 minutes.....5 minutes for my water to get hot, the another 15 sitting in the hot water. Not fun with a screaming baby. He doesn't get a bottle a lot but it was enough for this process to really annoy me. I checked out bottle warmers on line and picked one with good ratings and I LOVE IT!!!. It can heat up a cold bottle from the fridge in 90 seconds flat!! NO JOKE!! It flash steams the bottle and it heats up all the milk to a perfect warm tempurature.


Next we have saline spray
I know this is silly, but holy cow does it work. With a baby born in the winter, there's bound to be some stuffy noses. Just spray this in there and then suck out everything with a bulb syringe. Works like a charm.


Next we have DoTERRA oils
Love these. All of them. These three in particular have helped a lot with this baby. I put some drops in a cool mist humidifier and it fills my house with goodness.


Next we have The pump hold-er on-er
This might be weird to share but this thing is a life saver. especially if you have to pump a lot. It wraps around you and you zip it up and put the pump through the holes and it holds it in place so you can pump hands free. If you didn't feel like a cow before, you surly will now when you're eating dinner with a breast pump attached to you hands free. It funny, but its amazing.


Next we have Gripe water
I like this stuff because its all natural, and really works. If baby has hiccups, this will instantly take them away. If he's spitting up a lot, this calms his tummy. If he's fussy for no reason this calms him down. It's just really soothing to them and tastes good. Great stuff.



Next we have lotion hand sanitizer
I was getting so sick of my dry cracked hands from washing and using gel sanitizer so often. With a preemie it is crucial to have clean hands at all times. Then I found this, it's just like putting lotion on but it kills all the germs. A total hand saver. And it smells good.



Next we have Gdiapers cloth diapers
Not going to debate, don't care about anyone's else's opinion on this. I really like these diapers. My baby is still a little to small to wear these, but I have used them on him and love it. Saves a ton of money and I'm happy with using them. Love cloth diapers.


Next we have Aiden and Anias swaddler blankets
I had never used these before and I don't know why. These are the bamboo blankets, which means they are extra soft. They aren't too hot and are big enough to make a really good swaddle. and are super cute.


And last but not least we have the Ergo baby carrier
This carrier was recommended to me and thanks to a sale on Baby Steals, I got one. Love it. It is way more comfortable than my Baby Bijorn, which hurt my back all the time. These put all the weight on your hips and take the pressure off your back. A great investment.


And that wraps up my baby product life savers! Hope this helped someone trying to make a decision or just doesn't know what to get to get ready for a baby. This obviously isn't a complete list of everything you need, just a few tricks that took me 4 kids to figure out I couldn't live without! 

No comments: