Thursday, July 12, 2012

a day in the life

Today I just wanted to simply document my day. For the sole purpose of looking back when my kids are gone and laughing at my life. Day starts at 8 am, with kids running into my room to get the Kindle to play games on, I reluctantly wake up after a rough nights sleep of a baby jabbing my bladder all night long. I knew it was going to be a looooong day of just me and the kids as Michael had work and school and wouldn't be home until 9 that night. I get up, get Olivia from her crib, eat some cereal, feed the kids, and then we read. Books and books and books. They are currently enrolled in a summer reading challenge, Rylie has to read 100 books by the time school starts and Davis has to have 50 read to him. So at about 10 am we are still all in our jammies and I decided I needed to go to Hobby Lobby for some fabric to aid in my bedroom renovation for the girls. As I put the minimal amount of make up on possible, Olivia finds the baby powder and showers herself as well as a good section of carpet in it. So I changer her, again. Now, let me remind you that Olivia is still potty training, she's doing well, but if I don't take her in to go potty, she will pee in her pull up. And I forget....a lot....to take her in. So we're on our third pull up for the day and we get dressed and find sandals...always an ordeal because there is always only one of each pair of sandals to be found. We load into the van and on my way I'm thinking "why on earth am I doing this? I hate taking the kids to Hobby Lobby. Who does that?" I seemed to had justified it as "something to do to take up time". As we park, the kids fight over who is going to push the cart. Davis wins and he pushes for one minute before whining about wanting a treat. I say no treats. We head back to the fabric and Rylie decides to run at full speed pushing the cart with Olivia in it and crash into several end caps spilling the contents everywhere. I look at it, look at Rylie, look back at the mess and turn and walk the other way. I'm not bending down that many times to pick it up while my stomach acid rushes into my throat with every bend. Nope. After I pick my discounted fabric the kids then argue about who is going to hold which color and put it on the table to be cut. After that ordeal, on our way to the register I hear behind me a request from Davis for everything he sees. Doesn't matter what it is, he wants to buy and if he doesn't get it, he cries. So I pay for the fabric after saying "no, we're not getting that" about a hundred times, and head out to the car. As we get into the car the kids again fight about who gets to sit in the seat next to Olivia. Rylie wouldn't get out of the seat so I counted to 3 and she threw a monumental fit. Right there in the parking lot. So what did I do? I did what every other almost 7 month pregnant, sweating hot, impatient, mother would do in such a circumstance....I yelled really loud for her to knock it off and changer her behavior NOW! I guess my door was still open and there was an old man next to our car who shot me the look of death and pure concern for the well being of my children. I slammed the door while staring right him in a way that said "you want to mess with me?" and drove away. We got home, made lunch, I swept the floor for the third time that day and I announced it was time for "quiet time". Then Liv went down for a nap in her 5th pull up for the day and Davis and I played the Memory game. We love playing games together. Its a fun quiet time activity for the two of us. Then he layed down for a while and instead of cleaning my disaster of a house, I completely ignored it and went to work on some of the projects for the girls room. I much needed break for me to use my creative mind and relax for a minute. I cleaned that up, started some rolls for dinner and now as I lay in my bed listening to Curious George in the front room and my kids listen attentively I can't help but laugh at my life and how awesomely, wonderfully crazy it is. It's very hard and my house is a disaster right now.  And there is a strange smell coming from somewhere that I can't quite find.....But everyone is alive and relatively happy. The kids will get baths after a dinner of spaghetti and fresh rolls and my day will be nearly over. It will end with prayers together with the kids where they will ask Heavenly Father that they can be kind and love each other and not have bad dreams and that mommy and the baby with be safe. Then we all go to bed and it will start over again tomorrow. So repetitive yet so interesting. So hard yet so laughable.

2 comments:

Janet Alverson said...

Very cute and VERY true in a day in the life of children! haha Loved it. These are the "memory years" and you are making memories with your children. The dishes, house cleaning, chores etc... will always be there tomorrow, your children won't. They grow and get lives of their own. I love stories like this. Thanks for sharing. Love you all!

Janet Alverson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.