Saturday, August 25, 2012

summer reading challenge


 This summer we decided to bribe give an incentive to the kids to read over the summer. And what better incentive than THEE Chuck E. Cheese? Rylie's challenge was to read 100 books on her own and be able to retell the story to mom or dad, so she couldn't cheat. And they had to be age appropriate books, no baby books. And Davis had to have 50 books read to him, since he's not quite ready to read totally on his own yet. He can however, sound out words with mom to get him ready. It wasn't always easy to get them to read. But they really did do it. It was fun for them to go write down the book they read and count how many they had. I'm proud of them for finishing the challenge and not giving up. And I hope it instills a love a reading  in them. It is so important to me to read to my kids and help them learn to read. I can remember my mom and dad reading to me all the time and having my dad help me sound out words in One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. So I hope they will remember me reading to them every day so they know how loved they are and how important it was to mom to have that bond and memory and that they know how much it meant for me to teach them to read. Now to start a new school year reading challenge!


No comments: