Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Why Therapy?
After my last post I have had a lot of people ask me why I am in therapy with my daughter Rylie in the first place. I will explain, ever since she was born she has been an unusually active, fussy, high maintenance child. She is very advanced as far as her speech and her overall ability to outsmart anybody. And I'm not just saying that because I'm her mom. She's a prodigy child. I have struggled with her since the first day she was born. I love this little girl more than anything but she is definitely on this earth to teach me some lessons. I was having such a hard time disciplining her, I read every child disciplin book ever published and tried everything known to man. I was past the end of my rope. I loved her but I sure didn't like her. I hated feeling like that, so sad and frustrated all the time. I honestly felt some days that I could not do it one more day. I needed to be away from her. It sounds horrible but its true. I had a really good friend who just went through a hard devorce and she recomended that I take Rylie to this therapist who helped with her kids during the divorce. I took Rylie in and within a few sessions the therapist told me that she thinks Rylie has Bipolar and ADHD disorders. They can't diagnose her because she is to young, but they can center her therapy around that fact. I was relieved that there was a professional who got to see what I see. We have been going to therapy for 5 months now and I can see some really good improvements. Its not perfect by any means, but we are working towards a better relationship. I was so sure that I was going to have a crazy teenager on my hands and now I think she might still be crazy but our relationship will be in a better place. So I hope that clears a few things up. I also wanted other moms to know its okay to feel like this. And that there are ways to help you. Man, I need to start writing more upbeat blogs!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
My son is only 2 and they were able to diagnose him with ADHD. We are doing an Herbal Detox and Fish Oil (Omega's) and we have seen such a dramatic improvement in Kellen in just a few weeks. I can see the difference if Kellen misses a dose of Fish Oil, so you might try something like that. I know you can get chewable tablets at natural food stores. We give Kellen gel capsules, I poke a hole in one and put a few drops in his juice. By the end of the day Kellen has had one capsule. Hang in there guys, It will get better. If you want any more info about what we do for Kellen and the Dr. we took him to, let me know.
Oh, and I was thinking of you, so there is a Post on my blog that might help you with the bed time thing. Good luck and hang in there.
Andrea I love how honest you are in your posts, because I know other people are benefiting from it too! I'm so glad you see the value in therapy, I know that if you keep sticking it out it will keep getting better! Don't forget that you're a good mom and that there is a reason for all of this, and you have lots of people who support you :)
Post a Comment