Friday, June 25, 2010

Stupid moms

I got quite the adrenalin rush today. Last summer I had two scares where I was literally 10 feet away and they barely slipped off the step and couldn't get their heads above the water and I had to jump in and get them. So ever since that, I am super cautious at the pool. I only takes a split second for them to lose balance or panic and not be able to breathe. So today, there was a mom that brought in 3 young girls to swim, they had life jackets on but she wasn't watching them, she was laying out and chatting with her friends. I was watching these little girls swim and one of them was about 2 years old and swam out into the deeper water. She got flipped over on to her tummy and couldn't get her head out of the water. I was watching her, thinking she could turn over and when I realised that she couldn't I jumped into the water and pulled her out. No one else was even watching her! She was choking on water when I pulled her out and I made sure she could breathe and asked her older sister where her mom was. I carried the little girl over to her mom and said "She was drowning and couldn't swim with her life jacket but I think she's okay." I said it in a very "you're lucky I just pulled her out" sort of way. She thanked me for saving her and didn't really say much else, hopefully because of pure embarrassment. Wow, I was amazed that no one was watching her. Just because they have life jackets on doesn't mean they know how to swim in them! Stupid people! I couldn't stop shaking afterwards, I got so scared for her! I'm glad I'm not a life guard though, I can react pretty quick but I get so scared! Last summer I knocked some kid over and I think I kicked him in the face to get Davis out of the water when he couldn't get his head up. Sorry, don't get in my way then.

5 comments:

Just the 3 of us said...

That is crazy. People are sooo stupid! Pools freak me out, way too many kids drown and its something that can be prevented if their parents WATCH them instead of gossiping and working on their tan. Put your kids first people!
Good job for being super here today!:)

Terri Lindsay said...

Wow, that is way scary!!! That mom is lucky you were there. I never take my eyes off Kellen, weather were at the park or pool. And I can't stand it when little kids are just left to do what ever. I feel like saying, hello do you know your kid is 100 yards away, and still going??? That little girl could have died!! Wow seriously, I'm glad you said what you did, that lady needs to step it up.

:: ashley :: said...

what?! that is so messed up, I might have not been as nice, I think I would have yelled at her to watch her dang kids. Good for you being there, or who knows!

Kimberly Ngarupe said...

haha! oh yeah, you know he loves holding babies. he's gotten better though. kind of. we could probably do something this week. maybe wednesday if that works for you guys.

Kimberly Ngarupe said...

oh, and p.s. happy birthday tomorrow. are you doing anything fun?