Wednesday, June 9, 2010

swimming lesson trouble

I thought it would be a good idea to sign the kids up for swimming lesson this summer, Rylie did really well with them last summer so I signed Davis up this summer, thinking he would like them as much as she did. Oh no. This little boy is one of the most dramatic, emotional, girly, sensative little boys I've ever met. Which can be to his advantage sometimesmaking him such a sweetheart, but mostly just makes him be a wimp. Sadly. He doesn't like trying new things and gets super scared to do anything challenging. Not that swim lessons are all that challenging, but he thinks they are going to be to hard, so he refuses to do it. He just sits in the water and cries, no, more like screams and drools like a rabbid child. It makes me sad that he won't just go out there and have fun! It could be so much fun if he just tried it! But he won't. He loves swimming in our pool with me!! It frusrates me that I have "that kid" that everyone is annoyed with and whines about everything and won't try new things. I try and force him and he will not do it. I want him to "man up" a little! I know he's only 2, almost 3 but I don't want him to think it's okay to just wuss out of everything he doesn't want to do! I want to challenge him and show him that it's okay to learn new things. I have mixed feelings, if I take him out of the swim lessons, he wins and gets exactly what he wants. If I make him keep going, he will sit in the water and scream and make his teachers and me frusrated the whole time and won't pass the level anyway. Do I force him to finish, or just take him out? I don't know!

2 comments:

The Cox Family Established July 16, 2005 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Cox Family Established July 16, 2005 said...

The best thing you can do in that situation is make it so he can't see you at all, I have taught hundreds of kids just like that and if they can't see mommy then they usually stop. It make take a couple of times but it is worth it. If it doesn't then private lessons are something he might benefit from, a couple of those would be good. Try to find a teacher that will just take him in the water anyway. I know exactly what kind of kid you are talking about. Two going on three is still a little young, the red cross recommends them to be at least three or maybe a little older for group lessons, there is nothing wrong with doing parent tot one more time. Your sister could help with that, she's a instructor too.