Sunday, August 22, 2010

milk problems

I am getting so frustrated. With my first two kids my milk dried up and went away right at 5 months. I also wasn't very consistent with nursing so I always blamed it on that. With this baby I SWORE I would figure it out and be successful. I strictly nurse her with no supplementing. It's been going great so far up until about a week ago. She is on a pretty consistent schedule of eating every 3 to 3 1/2 hours. And my milk is STILL going away. She is starting to hate nursing. Every time I feed her she fusses and pulls away. She is sucking as hard as she can and isn't getting anything out. I pumped the other day just to see if she would take a bottle since we're going out of town next week, and I only got a half ounce out of each side. That's not very much. No wonder she hates nursing. I drink about a gallon of water a day and I eat all the time, so I know I'm getting enough calories. I am so frustrated! After I attempt to feed her she is hungry again after an hour because she hardly got anything out, so I try and feed her again and she still isn't getting anything out. I feel like it's a vicious cycle, she tries to eat but only sucks for 5 minutes or so and gets frustrated and stops and so my body thinks that's all it needs to make and doesn't produce any more for the next feeding. Why is something that's suppose to be so natural and good for the baby have to be so confusing and impossible? I LOVE nursing and really wanted to figure it out this time but for some reason my body just won't do it. Any tips? I feel like I've tried everything. With Davis I tried all those silly herbs and they were just a really expensive joke. I've tried pumping after the feedings and that doesn't do anything and I frankly don't have time to sit there and pump after every feeding. Please help!!!! The myth that your body is on a supply and demand system is a joke. It's just not true. I've done everything right and it's still drying up.

I. Am. Mad. The end

3 comments:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Oh my gosh, the same thing is happening to me, and I'm only six weeks into it! I nursed Ella and supplemented until she was eight months, but this time I told myself I would ONLY nurse for as long as I could possibly stand it...but it certainly isn't going very well. I am only producing milk in one boob?! What is that all about?!? If you get any good tips - SEND THEM MY WAY!!!! Nursing....so tricky....

Lindalu said...

Oh Andrea I feel your pain! I am the EXACT same way and I tried EVERYTHING with my latest baby convinced I could make it work...nope. Instead I was just starving my baby and he started losing weight. So frustrating when all the specialist keep telling you your body will produce what the baby needs. I finally just concluded that this just isn't true for everyone. I had to start using formula at 6 months. I wish the "specialist" would realize that not everyone is the same and be willing to tell you that once you have tried everything it is ok to move on to formula and that that will be the best thing for your baby instead of making you feel like something is wrong with you and you aren't doing something right!
Sorry for venting, but as you can see it is a sore topic for me. :) Just know you are not alone and as frustrating as it is, if you have to switch to formula your baby will be just fine! Mine is now a year old and has still never been sick. Good luck, my thoughts are with you!

Terri Lindsay said...

Sorry to everyone, nursing is hard! The only thing I have heard of is Mothers Milk tea, but you probably have already tried that. Good luck to everyone. I hope I can nurse our new baby when she comes.