Friday, December 18, 2009

Stolen identity

I thought it was a little strange the other day when I recieved two boxes in the mail that had some random vitamins in them that I did not order. When I told Michael about them he called the number on the box and told them we did not order these. They said they had my debit card number and that I had ordered them on line. Really? I don't think so! So we canceled the account and told them not to charge us. Then last night I was going over my online bank statement and found a strange charge for $69.95 on my account. It didn't have any information as to what the charge was for, so today I called the bank and asked if they had any more information on what it was. He said there was a phone number...so I called the phone number and the lady who answered so SUPER shady. I kept asking her what it was that they sold and why I had a charge on my account from them and she would not answer me. She eventually told me that they were a dating site and that someone signed up for this dating site using my debit card. Really? I don't think so! So I told her in my mean mommy voice that I need that money refunded to me now and all she gave me was an e-mail address that I could request a refund from. So lame. By now I have realised that someone has my credit card information and is using it to charge some really weird stuff. So I called the bank and got the process going to solve identity theft. They are assigning me an investigator to find out who it is and they asked me if I wanted to prosecute who ever it was that stole my identity and I said YES. So hopefully they find this person. I feel so violated and unsafe! Someone stole money right out of my checking account and they have my address! My card has been canceled and all accounts have been frozen. Ya, that's convenient for me! I'm just wondering who charges stupid stuff like that? If I had someones debit card number I would go and finish all my Christmas shopping! :) I don't know why they chose such stupid things to buy with it. So it's sad that there are people out there who really do this. I'm grateful that my entire account isn't drained. But when we find who this is, they are totally going to jail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so basically the person is alone, broke and out of shape. sad.

Jay & Tammi Roberts said...

How scary, you never think that would happen to you! Hopefully they find whoever used your card!