Sunday, January 4, 2009

Our 18 hour drive home.

I hate freakin traffic. I don't get it and I want to punch the people in the throat that like to stop and look at accidents, causing everybody to slow down and ruin thier days. I hate it. The drive that should normally take about 10 hours (11 or 12 with kids) took us a whopping 18. We left Santa Barbara at noon on Friday, planning to stay in Vegas for the night and we hit traffic on the 210 and it took us and hour to move a mile. Then there was traffic on the 15 and it took us 2 hours to move a mile. Then between Barstow and Primm we stopped because of 3 accidents in a row. We were literally parked for 3 hours. And the worst part is that we only had 1/16 of a tank of gas left and the accidents were 11 miles ahead of us. We were quickly running out of gas in the middle of nowhere and it was freezing out side. So we turned off the engine as much as we could but we were freezing and the kids were both freaking out the entire time because it was 9 at night and they were exhausted. I had to pee like nobodys business and there were no shoulders to pull off onto. We were surrounded by cliffs. I seriously wanted to shoot myself. I tried to pee in a cup but it was to tall to fit under me so I tried to pee in one of Rylie's pull ups (not a joke, lets see what you do in a moment of pure desperation and a bladder full of pee) But I couldn't pee in it. I tried really hard but everything about it was so unnatural. A very strange feeling. This was the worst traffic experience I have ever had. So after many prayers we finally made it to our hotel. And by the way we found this hotel on Expedia and we were very very impressed. It's called the Tahitian Village and we got a room for $50. It was basically a suite. It had a kitchen and a living room with a pull out sofa bed and a separate room for us to sleep in. It was VERY nice. So keep that in mind next time you go through. So the lesson is: Don't travel the weekend after the holidays or you will want to kill yourself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Caitlin)I laughed SO hard reading your post! I know how that feels, and I have actually been in that situation and peed in a diaper before. I know. VERY un-natural, but it beats peeing in a CUP and having hold the cup until you can stop...done that before too. Glad you made it. I hate road trips with kids.

amber {and co.} said...

lol, I'm so so sorry you had such a miserable time but I'm with Caitlin, hearing you tell it is hilarious! I'm just glad you made it home so that we can play! :)