Thursday, May 21, 2009

Whos kid is that?

Today my daughter threw a monumental fit in Maceys. It started with me not choosing the right cart that she wanted to ride in, I only needed 2 things and we were going to be in and out but this turned into an hour long knock down, drag out (literally) fight. So she wouldn't get in the cart, or walk, so I was forced to grab her hand and pull her. She then starts screaming at the top of her lungs "LET ME GO!!!!" over and over. The entire store is now looking at me like "What are you doing to your child?!?!" I am an old pro at the fits, she used to have them all the time. So I continue to drag her through the store not making eye contact with anyone, until she gets out of my grip (let me remind you that I still have a crazy sore shoulder and my arm is in a sling.) and throws herself on the floor and grabs whatever products that are in arms reach and starts throwing them as hard as she can across the store, all while creaming crying and drooling and thrashing around. Is there such thing as a rabid child? At this point I am either ready to leave her at the store or call her dad to come and get her. Every time I try and go near her she tries to hit or kick me. And if I try and put her in the cart she wails on Davis. It was a hopeless situation. If I try and overpower her, (which I can, I am the boss!) I just hurt her and that doesn't work. Every time someone would stare at me I wanted to say "Hey jackass, why don't you come over here and try and manhandle her. She'll kick your trash. If you have some ideas please let me know!!!" So after a few minutes and about 6 boxes of cereal, some empty cardboard boxes, and a few bags of chips were all over the floor I grabbed her arm and literally dragged her thrashing body out the door, forced her in her car seat and strapped the seat belt as tight as it would go, all while she pulls my hair and scratches me, and drove home in tears. So next time you see a struggling mom in the store with screaming kids please have compassion for her, for she is using every ounce of energy not to smack her child to kingdom come. I love my kids, I love my kids, I love my kids, I love my kids........




Disclaimer: If anyone is reading this who doesn't know me, please don't write me comments about what a bad mom I am. I guarantee every mom will have an experience like this. I'm just the one who talks about it.

5 comments:

amber {and co.} said...

Oh man, I have so much to look forward to!! I like your disclaimer, it's so true, it's a three year old's job to make their parent's life a living hell :) You deal with it well Andrea, I'm sure that was NOT a fun experience, especially with Davis there too! There is a special place in Heaven for moms :)

Shakirra said...

I'm glad to have friends who talk about the real sides of being mothers, so that when I get there I can not feel like a piece of trash for wanting to sream right back at my child! I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job. I hope your shoulder feels better soon. And remember, your daughter loves you! She is still learning how to be a well-behaved angel that you are teaching her to be. Just keep venting, and try not to cry. You'll remember these days in the future and remind her of them every chance you get, then she'll say she's sorry and she loves you so much for putting up with all the crap.
Sending love and happy thoughts your way!
Shakirra

Unknown said...

Wow. That sound terrible! I was just complaining to my husband about how many fits Jonah had in town today, but suddenly they all seem like nothing. I think your pretty awesome just for getting through it.. with two kids and your arm in a sling. Hang in there. She WILL EVENTUALLY grow out of it. And I know exactly what you mean about being eyed by everyone else. Jonah is getting at that age now and I hate it when everyone just watches me!

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Oh boy.....I can see this in my near future! I'll be coming to you for tips!!

Annie said...

You crack me up..is it normal that Marley is only 16 months and is already doing things like that to me?! Lets just pray it gets better!