Saturday, February 7, 2009

Birth control

This post, again, is for my own future referencing. You don't have to read it unless you're interested in birth control. And its really personal, so don't say I didn't warn you.
I am currently using the Nuva Ring. I have tried every birth control ever made and still haven't found one that I like. I started with the patch and it made me sick and crazy, then I tried the pill, which made me fat and crazy, then a low dose pill with no difference, then an IUD and that gave me 3 week long periods, now I'm on the Nuva Ring because I have ovarian cysts. I swore I would never go on birth control again after all the other disasters but this was medically necessary. I thought I liked it at first because I didn't notice any difference, but I am now on month 4 and in the last month I have gained 7 pounds. That's kind of a lot. And I know its not anything that I'm doing cuz I work out almost every day and I don't eat crazy things. And I'm not crazy vein and freak out over 7 pounds but it's enough to make my pants fit differently and that bugs me. And I don't know when it will stop, 7 pounds, 15 pounds, 30 pounds. Who knows. So I'm left frustrated once again. I'm also feeling the birth control crazies. If you've ever been on birth control you know exactly what I mean. I feel angry all the time, emotional, anxious, sad, crazy, its so all over the place. I am a mean lady. I have to keep reminding myself that its just the hormones that are making me feel this way. I personally don't believe the human body should have artificial hormones in it, thats why we feel this way. I hate that I have to use this stuff. Our bodies are so perfect the way they are in creating just the right amount of hormones we need. When you put artificial ones in the mix it just throws everything off. Some girls have no problem with it, and they are fine, that's great, more power to them. They are like the girls who don't get sick when they are first pregnant, good for you, but I hate you! :) So I just wanted to remember how I feel at this moment. And if I go off of it, I will get pregnant. Thats how it works with us. So those of you who are on the fence about birth control, I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just trying to help you make an more informed decision. If you think about what birth control hormones are doing to your body, they are stopping you from ovulating. Stopping you from dropping an egg. That doesn't sound natural. And everybody is different and reacts differently to it. So try it out and the first time you cry because you can't find your other shoe, or because you burn the brownies, or because its to cold outside, or because you can't get your bread to rise, you'll know you have the birth control crazies. Or you're pregnant, one of the two. I think Heavenly Father just wants me to have 25 kids because birth control obviously hates me and I'm good at getting pregnant. I'm wondering what other peoples opinions are of birth control. My mom didn't like it either, thats why she had 6 kids in 7 years. Do people think its a safe thing to do? Ethical? Responsible? The greatest invention ever made? I want to know.

5 comments:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Man, I know what you mean! I was on the patch, then it turns out it was killing people...then I was on the ring, which I liked, but it gives me migraines. I was on the mini-pill when I was pregnant, adn that one seemed to be the best (least side effects) but apparently its not as effective??? Now I'm on yasmin and I get migraines. :( Birth control is seriously terrible, but necessary! AH! Have you tried the old fashioned method? Huge pain...I know...but no side effects. Only 97% effective though, so maybe a side effect is a baby! Who knows! AAH!!!

Terri Lindsay said...

I am with you on this one Andrea. Birth controll may be great for some people, but not for me. I started out with the patch and was on it for about 2 months, I decided enough was enough when it gave me a chemical burn on my under arm. Since then my body just can't recover. My hormones can't seem to correct them selves which makes it next to impossable for us to get pregnant. Let's just say, if I peeded on a stick and it came back positive, it would me a mirical. That is why Kellen is such a mirical to us. But, I too have ovarien cyst, but don't seem to have much problems with them. Look on the bright side, at least you can have a baby when ever you want, and you can have 26 of them, wouldnt that be great! I'm just kidding. You could always try the family planning method of birth control?

Amanda said...

I had no problem with birth control until I had Grace, now it gives me the crazies and I hate it, but I hate not being on it because of the pregnancy factor. It's a tough call. So I'm off it trying to see if that helps my crazies (hopefully it's not just me) :) Yikes, good luck with that!

Brittanie said...

I totally just wrote a post about this too. I am WAY ANTI-BC. No way man. Does BAD stuff to your body. There are other things you can do (and still be intimate) and not get pregnant. I'm sure you already know them though.

Terri Lindsay said...

Hey Andrea, this is a response to your response. I am all about he Homeopathic ways! I have been seeing a guy for the past 6 months, and basicly every time I go in, my body would want something else, and I would tell him how I was feeling, and every time he would say, "yeah, your body says its Hormones aren't right" He does an energy reading thing too. He is a really good Dr. and has worked wonders for Preston, but has yet to help me out at all. But thanks for the Name, If we went to Utah offten, I might have taken you up on that, but if you every hear of a faboulious "which Dr." up here in Idaho let me know. Thanks again. I am sure the Lord has something planed for us. I'll just hang tight for now.