Tuesday, March 31, 2009
dumpster diving
Michael called me today and said I had to come to his work. So I packed up the kids and drove over there. He brought me over to the dumpster and said I had to see what was in there. I was very suspicious. So I went in and saw to my surprise a brand new pillow top matress and brand new box springs. They were perfectly white and looked like they were just from the mattresss store. He says "We have been wanting a new mattress for a long time. This one looks awesome. What do you think?" My first reaction was "What the heck? Why would someone put a new matress set in the dumpster?" I debated back and forth. What would have had to happen for someone to need to throw this away? Did someone die on it? Is it full of dust mites? Who knows! But we decided to take it home and check it out. You can rent steam machines that sanitize mattresses. AHHHHHH! I don't know if we should use it! It seems so waistful to just leave it there! And we really do need a new bed. We have a memory foam pad that goes on top so its not like we would be sleeping right on the mattress. What would you do? I feel so ghetto taking a matress out of the dumpster. Honestly. But I would put money on it that it was all brand new. Maybe someone was stealing it and got caught and had to get rid of it really fast. Or maybe some guy got divorced and needed to get rid of his bed....quickly. I don't know. Don't judge me!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hmmm...if you're not really sleeping on it (but on the memory foam), then why not? We totally went dumpster diving in our dumpster last week for a bunch of stuff that was perfectly usable. It feels really lame to do, but I'm totally glad we did!
Do it! Think of it as being green. You could even get one of those mattress covers things. Seriously, Do It!
take it. stores often have to throw things away that are perfectly fine just because of a dent or something. my friend used to work at pier one and every tuesday morning, when they got their new shipment the trash would be full of great stuff that had like a baby size scratch or something.
Post a Comment