Monday, June 8, 2009
ABCs and 123s
I'm working with Rylie on her letters and numbers. She learned them in preschool this last year but she didn't fully learn how to recognise them and write them. So I've been using flash cards, work books, and we have a little computer game that teaches letters and numbers. I had no idea this would be so hard!! I try and try and go over and over and over the same letter and she still doesn't know what it is! She can write her name but some of the letters are upside down so I've been trying to teach her to write them the right way and she cannot do it! We spent about an hour today trying to write the letter "e" the right way and she still couldn't do it. It is so hard not to get frustrated with them when you literally go over the same thing 100 times and they don't get it. I know she's only 3 (almost 4) but the other kids her age can do this and I feel like she's the only one who can't. I have a neighbor who has a little girl the same age and she can write every letter in the alphabet and all her numbers. (but she also never throws fits, and keeps her room perfectly clean ALL the time, these girls are two very different people!) I shouldn't compare..........but Rylie can't do that. Not even close. And I feel like we go over this stuff every day! I'm not a very good teacher because I do loose my patients very quickly and I criticize to fast, but I'm trying here! I love to teach her but every time I try, I fell like it ends with me mad and her frustrated. I've tried making a game out of it so it's fun, and it always ends up....not so fun. Can you put a 3 year old in Sylvan? I wish. And I consider her to be a very smart child, she started walking at 10 months, speaking full sentences at 20 months, could sing the whole alphabet when she was 24 months, and figure out every angle possible to manipulate things and get what she wants.......she's a prodigy! But thats why I'm so confused about this, I thought she would have this stuff in the bag. I talked to my mom about it and she thinks she just doesn't do it when I try and teach her because she likes the reaction she gets out of me, which makes so much sense because that's how our every day discipline is. She's not a normal child people! She loves negative attention, which is why I started going to therapy with her in the first place. My mom told me not to be the one to try and teach her these things because of the dynamics we have with each other and that Michael should the one to teach her. If I can't teach her her abc's and 123's, there's no way I'm going to tackle reading and math and all that stuff! I don't like it! But I guess nothing with this child is easy, I should know that by now. I love her, but ABCs are hard! Apparently!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I would just keep trying. Don't compare her to other kids, because every child is so different! Jonah started to walk at ten months too but he is now 20 months and STILL not talking, it drives me insane. I think she's a smart little girl who either just needs time, or maybe she likes the attention she's getting out of it! Good Luck!
Don't let it get you down. She will get it, but seriously, developmentally she is FINE! Listen to your mom and don't let it turn into a battle, it's not worth it and you don't want to give her a negative experience with learning. She still has 2 years before she starts kindergarten, she will get it.
Andrea, she is just fine. They teach them all of that in Kindergarten. Jackson was writing lots of his letters and numbers backwards when he first started kindergarten. When I talked to the teacher about it she said it was totally normal for that age and by the end of the year he was fine. Definitely don't turn it into a battle, at least with my kids the more I try and force them to do something the more the resent it. You want her to LOVE learning.
Post a Comment