Thursday, April 22, 2010
so sick
This battle with mastitis has truly been one of the hardest things I have ever gone through. As if things weren't hard enough already with the new baby, lets throw in a horrible debilitating infection to spice things up. I noticed something weird going on around 12:30 am the other night, I couldn't burp the baby on my left side cuz it was so sore but I didn't think anything of it.....until about 20 minutes later I started getting the chills and really achy all over, like I had the flu. Then I put two and two together and realised what was going on. Aside from getting strep a few years ago (which is seriously painful and a makes you super sick) this was possibly the sickest I've ever been in my life. And on top of that I'm still not sleeping due to my baby's love of the boob several times a night. This infection really rocks your body. I was put on some antibiotics and am still waiting for them to work. The only thing that takes the edge off is loads and loads of tylenol. I got a blessing from my sweet husband because I couldn't even hold the baby. I couldn't even brush my hair or put lotion on, my body and skin hurt so bad. I talked to a nurse yesterday and asked her how you even get these infections and she said there isn't really a definite reason, you just get them. Awesome. She also said once you get it you are more prone to getting them again. Awesome. She also said that being on antibiotics makes you very very prone to getting thrush. (which I thought I had but I don't, yet) Super awesome! So to all my soon to be new mommy friends out there that are reading this, beware of this crazy infection!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
ya, you're blog freaks me out a bit to add another kid here! I really want to help you out! dinners? help with your kids? sounds like you are having a tough week. Let me know!
this makes me so sad :( that sucks soooooo bad! i have some tips though: to help keep mastitis from coming back it helps to massage your breast from your armpit to your nipple (in that direction) before and after you nurse> that keeps the milk from building up and curdling> gross i know> also for thrush you can use natural violet (you can get it at a health food store) and it clears it up super fast! it just looks like you have been playing with a permanent marker and it turns your babys mouth all purple but it doesnt hurt them or anything :) hope this helps!!
So sorry you are in so much pain. I wish I could come help you. Eat lots of yogurt while you are on those antibiotics!
Oh Andrea I am SO SO sorry! I had mastitis and it seriously is one of the worst things ever! Take lots of hot showers and lots of rest (haha, easier said than done with 3 kids, right? Ü) Wish I was there to help, I'll be thinking about you!!
Wow, you are going through so much right now! I am so sorry you are so sick, I've had two breast infections after having Connor, not fun at all! You'll know the signs of getting the infection if it happens again, and that makes all the world of difference if you catch it early on. It goes away a lot faster and you're not in as much pain. I can't believe the mess your kids made! Wow, the joys of being a mom. Thank goodness you have such good friends who took your kids off your hands for you. I would offer to come pick your kids up for you if I had a van to drive your kids and mine in, but I would be more than happy to take them off your hands if you brought them to me. I only live like 15 min away. Good luck w/ everything. Oh and plan on receiving an invite for my boys b-day party coming up at the beginning of June!
NO! I have my fingers crossed that you would finally be able to nurse without any problems. I'm so sorry. Let me know if you guys need dinner or anything.
Post a Comment