Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Freebirthing- what is this craze?
I watched a show on Discovery Health with my husband about this new craze called freebirthing. Now, let me say first, I DO NOT have anything against natural births...it's your body and you do what feels right. This freebirthing is a whole new issue. I like to think that I'm pretty openminded and try not to judge to much but this is very interesting. It's essentially a natural birth at home with no doctors, no medicine, no midwives, no monitors, no help, absolutely no intervention. These women feel it necessary to give birth on their own with no medical or professional advice or help. They go their entire pregnancies without a single check up or exam. When I saw this I was infuriated. Everything was filmed so you could see the birth and everything. Fortunately for the women in the documentary everything turned out okay with the babies. One of the women actually said "I don't feel it necessary to have doctors intervene with my body and my baby. I feel like if they were involved it would put the baby in more danger." I totally get the whole natural birth with no drugs, really I do, but I do have a problem with choosing not to protect your child by not having yourself and the baby examined. How could they think that's a good idea? And this is just my personal opinion, no offense intended, but I don't agree with home births either. If you want to have a natural birth, why can't you do it in a hospital? I just had a really close friend choose to have a home birth and because the baby's heart rate couldn't be monitored properly, and he couldn't be born quick enough, he got brain damage died a few weeks later. If she was in a hospital, she would have had an emergency c-section and it could have been avoided. And maybe not, maybe it would have happened either way, but I just don't understand putting that much more risk into an already risky procedure. Anyway, so this craze of freebirthing is getting more and more popular. One of the ladies had a hard time delivering her placenta so she was forced to go to the hospital and the doctors were furious with her. They needed to do a DNC and she wouldn't let them. She wouldn't even let them give her an IV. Crazy. She thinks that all doctors and medicine are evil. Don't get it. My husband and I were so bugged by this. Michael is way more closeminded about natural child birth, he thinks its absolutely pointless and rediculous so this, to him, was of another world. We cannot understand why women would think this was a good idea. I really truly hope that nothing ever happens to these women or their babies, but when it does it will be hard to have compassion for them. And I don't think I'm better than anyone because I have my babies in a hospital with an epidural, I just think that its way more selfish to deny medical advice because you feel like you need to prove something or make some kind of statement against "medical America". So anyway, thats the story on freebirthing. I would like to know more opinions on this so please share if you agree or disagree with my thoughts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I gave birth to Kellen all natural, no Epi and I loved it, I had a mid-wife, not a Dr. and gave birth in a hospital. And thank goodness I gave birth in a hospital, other wise I wouldn't be here today. There really is no reason not to give birth in a hospital, but I think people are doing it more and more, may be because of money. If you don't have insurance then It is way expencive. Trust me I know, we are still pay off our bill for Kellen. But how can some one actually think that it is safe to not have at least one check up during there pregnancy. We are so lucky to live in a generation where we have medicine, and technology, Take advantage it!!! And if they are thinking "women have been having babies for generations with out Doctors and medicine, and they were fine" Well yeah but how many times have we heard of the mother dying along with the Baby. How many babies did Emma Smith loose? Seriously it is not safe to have a baby at home. Women in Africa have there babies out in the weed, why don't they trade placed with a poor african woman, who would love to have a Doctor take care of her and her baby. Let one of these Freebirthing woman have there baby out in the jungle if they don't want a DR. Honestly..... I was so dumb to read part of a book once, and it talked about all the complication that can happen during delivery, You would be surprised how many very very serious things can happen. Ok I will stop, I am just really passionate about L&D and Babies. If you can find a link online for that program I would love see part of it.
But to each his own.
My sister Cristin had a home birth and loved it. I would never do it, just because of the complications with Jonah during labor, but she had a midwife with regular appointments, and a low risk pregnancy. As far as free birthing goes, ya.... that's REALLY extreme!!
Post a Comment