Thursday, November 6, 2008

A word about Gynecologists

I've not had the best luck finding a good Ob/Gyn. My first doctor who delivered Rylie was kind of a weird guy. He never really remebered who I was and told me every week from 32 weeks on that I would deliver any minute becasuse I was dialated 4 cm. And I didn't of course deliver ontil 1 day after her due date! So frustrating. And he wasn't even there! Some stranger delivered her. Then Davis' doctor was even worse. Every time I went in for my appt I had to wait 45 minitues to an hour for them to call me back. Then half the time he was gone delivering someone elses baby so I had to see a different doctor. Then on delivery day, he made me wait an hour to push because he was taking his sweet time getting there. So he delivered Davis in about 10 minutes and then left. Didn't even talk to me. I don't even think he knew who I was. I have it all on tape, I have proof. So it was not a very good experience with him. (His name is Dr. Judd from Aspen Womens Center in Provo. Just so you know) So Dr. Judd only does obstetrics, not gynecology. I found a clinic by me house called Legacy Ob/Gyn. I called to make an appt for my annual pap and went in and meet Dr. Haskett. Aside from being extremely good looking (which makes it a little weird) he is an exteremly good doctor. I was very impressed. I was so used to being treated like cattle being hearded. He listed to everything I had to say, didn't rush me, and treated me like a real patient. So, a few days ago I was having some strange pain in my uterus, it felt almost like labor contractions. I thought I was miscarrying or something. It was horrible. They came every 5 minutes or so and felt really tight and cramping. Very strange. So I called his nurse and she had me come it to checked out and they gave me an ultrasound and found that I have ovarian sists and a little endometriosis. I went in today to see Dr. Haskett and he was so great. And I am very picky as you can tell. I don't hand out compliments of gynecologists like candy. He really listened to me. He even spent like 15 minuted asking me about my previous experiences with my other doctors and labors. He even gave me a hug when we were done. I have never had a doctor care so much about me. He said he only delivers about 15 babies a month as opposed to the 80 my other doctor was doing. He put me on the Nuva ring so it will stop me from ovulating, thus stopping the sists. Now, I hate birth control, I don't believe in putting artaficial hormones in your body, (thats another blog completely) but I'm going to try this and see if it helps. So Its possible to find a great Ob/Gyn. I think I might go to him next time I have a baby. I was thinking about going the whole midwife route, but I really like this guy. We'll see, we have some time to decide. :)

4 comments:

Terri Lindsay said...

your blog made me laugh, I just had to tell you that. for 1 blogging is such a girl thing so almost no guys are going to read it, and for 2 it's about "girl stuff". look at us all grown up.

Ok so I LOVED my Mid-Wife when I delivered Kellen. She was there in the hospital the entire time I was in labor. And then because of her fast acting skills, she pretty much saved my life (I am not kidding, I really did almost die) And then she came back every 10 minutes or so to make sure I was doing ok for about 3 hours. But dont get me wrong I am sure that there are a lot of flussy Mid-Wives. I still don't have a Dr up here in Idao, because I just like her so much and I really dont want to go to anyone else. Oh well

Anonymous said...

I'm really picky too. I wne to the midwives at Mt Timp. Womens center and LOVED them! My midwife was there when I got to the hospital and stayed with me my whole labor! She even helped me get through contractions, and let me do anything I needed to feel better! Thats great though, you found a good doctor, thats funny he gave you a HUG!

Amanda said...

Um, yeah Dr. Judd is a good doc but the absolute worst person for making you feel like a human. He was the back up doc for my midwife and so he had to come in and start my induction. He was soooooo rude! He told me that I should just get a c-section and not even try to deliver Grace because it's not worth the time (his time). He also told me that my body wasn't working or else she would be out by now. And he didn't just say it once, he said it over and over like it was some kind of joke. Note to doctors...that is not any kind of joke especially when you're delivering a baby! He was so awful - I was so mad at him, luckily he didn't come back because I would have let him have it. He even told my friend that if she was a pioneer she would have been left on the side of the road (to die, basically) since her baby's head was turned funny. He ahs the worst bedside manner ever. He really is a talented doctor, but I don't think it's worth it to go to him because he is such a pig-headed jerk! I love my midwife though!

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope your cists go away! doctor mcdreamy sounds just like that- very dreamy :)

p.s. did you go commando? I did! heehhee j.k....